Tuesday 19 July 2011

Fiona's proposed project

The proposed project for Pandemic is interlinked with a year-long project which I am undertaking.  My year-long project involves documenting my memories of each day in 2011. Before going to bed I video record my memories of that day and start each recording 'Today is a day I will never forget because...'  I have found over the past 6 months that often the memory of  how I have documented the memory remains with me, rather than the memory itself.  Over time I have become occupied with how truthful I am being in my account of my memories of each day and how, even though these videos have not been made public, I am self-censoring.  This therefore begun me examining how truthful I am being in my portrayal of events in openly social media where we advertise ourselves and our activities to the world.

So for Pandemic I propose that those visiting the event will have the opportunity to donate their memories to me rather than social media or friends.  People will be invited to write their memories of that day on a piece of paper and I will then record these memories as my own, in the same way as my year-long project. The anonymity of collective memories may offer the opportunity to avoid self-censorship and the donation of the memory itself may in turn become a memory.

Requirements:
Somewhere for people to donate their memories - a table, paper and pens
Somewhere for me to record the videos - a small quite space which is well lit
(As a potential extension to the project a t.v./laptop can be placed on the table showing the video recordings)

This is designed to be an installation so the duration is flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment